As a constituent institution of The University of North Carolina, Elizabeth City State University offers baccalaureate, professional, and master's degrees for a diverse student body. Our mission is to promote economic, social, and environmental progress for the people of northeastern North Carolina, the state, and the nation.
We achieve our commitment to the highest quality education by maintaining a rigorous focus on academic excellence through liberal arts programs and using innovative and flexible technology-based instruction models to enhance our signature areas: integrating technology with education, improving human health and wellness, and advancing the natural and aviation sciences.
Through teaching, research, and community engagement, the institution's rich heritage and its current multicultural student-centered focus provide a firm foundation for its endeavors. It serves the needs and aspirations of individuals and society; producing graduates for leadership roles and life-long learning.
ECSU, a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina, will be the premier public institution serving northeastern North Carolina, providing affordable academic programs and services of exceptional caliber in a nurturing environment. The university will attract and retain a diverse and highly qualified faculty that will educate and lead our students to become productive members of a global and increasingly interdependent society. ECSU will continue to be a leading partner in enhancing educational and cultural opportunities and improving the economic strength in the region.
Our Core Values
ECSU is guided by a commitment to excellence, which is personified in the subsequent group of core values the university strives to demonstrate and maintain.
- Accountability - being responsible for our actions is part of the ECSU ethos. Administration, faculty, staff and students
- endeavor to continue to expand on the Quality already in existence at the university;
- Diversity - Diversity of viewpoints, experiences, and backgrounds are critical tools of a quality education in our global marketplace;
- Excellence - Excellence is the measure for teaching, learning, and service to the university community; and
- Preparing students holistically - the full measure of personal, professional, and social development of our students, faculty, and staff is an integral part of the ECSU philosophy: "to live is to learn."